With only one day to go until it ended, I succumbed to the temptation of another stamp auction. This one had lots of early Canadian stamps that would go so well in my collection, and help me fill up all those empty pages at the beginning of the book.
It sounded great. However these was some reluctance on my part. The shipping cost was rather high. It was about seven US dollars, plus 50 cents for the next stamp, and 50 cents for every subsequent stamp. I know most of these people send it with postage they got at a reduced price, so I thought this was a bit out of line.
The temptation proved to be too great and I plunged in on the night before it ended. I reasoned that I had better win a bunch of stamps to make it worth the shipping costs. So I dropped a bunch of bid on the stamps I thought I could afford. I also put down some higher maximum bids to discourage poachers.
This morning, just after I got to work, my phone dinged that I had been outbid on one of the items. This continued throughout the day. By the time I got back home, my bidding had been whittled down to three items. It was then I felt a bit of a conundrum. The three stamps didn’t even amount to 50 cents. However, I would have to pay 8 dollars in shipping. I either had to up my bids on some of the items, or just accept it.
Well, before long, I was outbid on the remaining three items and I was free of this auction. I wanted the stamps, but I wasn’t able to get them. I have to say I was relieved.